What's in the Box Wednesday: Our Set-Up » Little Learning Lovies

What’s in the Box Wednesday: Our Set-Up

What's In The Box Wednesday Image

Well, I realize that it isn’t actually Wednesday.  And I also realize that I haven’t posted a Wednesday feature in a few weeks, but I’ll tell you why:  I was embarrassed to show you my boxes!

Actually, it wasn’t the boxes I didn’t like.  It was the mess that surrounded them!

Today, though, I’m going to take a moment to share with you my latest adventure . . . I cleaned out our front closet.

I didn’t take before photos and I’m somewhat sad about that, but really, trust me on this, you didn’t want to see it.  Picture a closet meant to be a coat closet.  Fill it up with about 25 coats of varying sizes, with only one or two actually fitting anyone in the house.  Then stack bags and bags of fabric, yarn, various crafting supplies, bits of projects half completed more than 7 years ago, boxes from when we moved in here over 7 years ago (!?), mail (hush now) from when we moved in . . . well, you get the idea.

So I had to keep our workboxes outside this closet.  And a bin for shoes next to it.  And all manner of other things that would get shoved out of the way for school time only to end up in front of or on top of our boxes by dinner time.  Not ideal.

Well, here’s a picture of our front hall, such as it is.  You’re looking from my dining room into a little alcove area.  To the right (behind that out-of-place T-square I borrowed from my husband and never returned…. Sorry honey!) is our front door.  To the left is a closet door, hiding behind our giant American flag which we pledge allegiance to every morning.  Where that folding stool is currently residing was the home our workboxes before I fixed it.

And here’s what’s in the closet.  No more coats that don’t fit.  No more scrunched up bits of wrapping paper.  I am thinking of finding a new home for the vacuum, if I can manage it.  I’d love this to just be a school space. (Oh, and sewing.  Did I mention that half the stuff in the top of the closet is my sewing stuff?  Oh well.)

These are our actual boxes.  I love these drawers.  They are strong and sturdy, rugged and reliable.  No matter how hard they are pulled, yanked, slammed and smashed, they come through looking like new.  I’ve had these drawers for over a decade and they still look like I just bought them.  Aside from a bit of dust, that is.  🙂

We do ten boxes and we do them together.  Three kids, so three copies of everything.  It’s really fun this way!

Some folks use these as their workboxes, but I find them to be far to flimsy to stand up to daily use.  I use these to store materials.  Much of it is there for the kids to use or for me to use when prepping for their lessons.  Kids are in these drawers a few times a week and it’s much better that way!

This is what makes workboxes possible for us.  In the front of this file crate I keep folders marked Monday through Friday and I copy everything I’m going to need for a few weeks and put it all in there.  That way when evening comes and it’s time to load boxes for the next day, I just have to grab things from the files and move them to the box.  Easy, fast and convenient.  The rest of the file box holds things that I’ve found and printed out but I’m not ready to use them yet.

I didn’t get a great picture of these, but I made a few library bags.  We use our library extensively and I felt bad about them always giving us bags that I’m sure they pay quite a bit for.  Our library is tiny and facing possible closure, so to save them a few dollars, I made these bags.  The kids adore them and treat them and the books we bring home in them with much more reverence than before.  Each bag took me only a few scraps of fabric and one baby nap-time to make so I count that as an excellent return on my investment!

Now… You might be wondering what I’ve put in our workboxes.  And if you’ve  never used boxes for school work, you might be wondering what on earth I’m even talking about.  Well, to be honest, It’s 1:00 in the morning as I’m writing this out and I’m quite tired.  And, I’m sure you’ll agree, this post is already rediculously long, so I’m going to stop here and save our “What’s In The Box” for another day.

Until then, here’s a sweet baby picture of our newest daughter:

🙂

beckie says 8 years ago

Wow. Is that really your house? I’m not believing it. Really?

treblesand says 8 years ago

I know! I’m amazed too! Which is why I took pictures 😉
    I should have taken a before picture. But seriously….. If I can do this, anyone can!!!
    Love you, sis 🙂

Kristina says 8 years ago

I love the idea of using the front closet since it’s right next to our dining room (aka school room) – wondering where you ended up putting all the coats though?

treblesand says 8 years ago

Kristina,
    That is exactly why I wanted this space for school. Our dining room is right there also which is where we school. I’ll post about that soon too. As for the coats, you’ll notice that there is a small coat rack right in the front “hall” there. It’s a bit small though and I’ll likely get a larger one now that the drawers are in the closet. We use it just for the kids coats and the adults hang theirs on the back of a door, ideally. Or on a chair if careless 😉 As for guests…. We lay them on the bed. I’ll be making a winter bag to hang on the coat rack to hold mittens, scarves and the like and voila! No more need for a coat closet 🙂

Kristina says 8 years ago

I guess we’ll have to wait until the Fall to see how things work out with the adult coats 😉 Gets me thinking about having those over the door hooks… might work for us… where do you put the boots/shoes? (in Canada we take our shoes off at the door and just wear socks/slippers/bare feet in the house)

treblesand says 8 years ago

Kristina,
        We only use the door hooks because we have a small hook set in the front hall. I’m sure if it were longer, or even if we got two of them and put one higher for the adults, we’d all use the coat rack. We’re just working with what we already have. 🙂 As for shoes and boots, we switch between a plastic bin (a white one with holes in it) or a wicker basket, depending on my mood, really, where we keep our shoes. We only wear them when going out too. Everyone piles their shoes in there and they are very easy to find. Alternately, shoes could be kept in bedroom closets or just under the foot of the bed. We’ve done all of these things. The family basket by the door works best for us, though. We keep this basket right near the closet in the photos, and it can be hidden away if you feel the need to for company. 🙂

Stephanie says 8 years ago

Looks like something I might look into for helping me organize. I am curious, why did you move your blog to wordpress? Looking forward to reading more

treblesand says 8 years ago

Stephanie,
    I moved to wordpress because it gave me all the features I wanted with all the control I wanted. I host my site where I want it, rather than relying on blogger to do it, and I can program in whatever extra features I want, or just use the widgets and functions that make wordpress so rich and easy. I love it and wouldn’t change back for anything! It also makes file sharing incredibly easy without having to use a third party service 😉

stephanie says 8 years ago

Hmm. Is it easier or harder to use than blogger? I am new at blogging and so I don’t want something that is hard to use. Is it free to use?

treblesand says 8 years ago

Stephanie,
        Wordpress itself is completely free, open source at it’s best. The way that I implemented it included purchasing a domain name and using my hosting account that I already pay for to host several other websites that I administer, so for me there was no additional cost for hosting. You can, however, go to WordPress.com and get a free WordPress blog. They host it for you, just like blogger. I’ve never done it this way so I don’t know how simple it is for file sharing, which was my biggest reason for creating this site and for hosting it all myself. If I were you I would sign up for the free blog and see what it’s all about. If you don’t like it you don’t have to continue using it! 🙂

Janet W says 8 years ago

Looks great! It’s always so much fun to have a new workspace.
Janet

treblesand says 8 years ago

Janet,
    THanks! We’re so delighted with it. The kids keep just going in there to see it even when it’s not school time (is there ever ‘not school time’ when you’re homeschooling?)

Anna-Marie says 8 years ago

Looks like an excellent space for your workboxes:) Love the baby picture:)

treblesand says 8 years ago

Anna-Marie
    Thanks so much. Our baby joins in the school fun too, so I thought she was a perfect addition to the school post 🙂

Christie says 8 years ago

It looks great! I love your library bags…so cute!

treblesand says 8 years ago

Christie,
    Thanks so much! We’ve been using them for about a month now and they work very well! We all know where to find our library books and they don’t get mixed in with our own books (and we’ve had no fines! lol)